Wednesday 26 December 2012

I Have A Dream, Of You And Me

You've got to hope that there is someone out there, otherwise this life thing is just a very lonely circular motion. You live and you die, one and zero. Somehow finding someone special makes us believe that there is a third factor, or an infinite number of shades in between. It's the difference between living and surviving.

I'm not talking love. I don't believe in that. Don Draper has a great line (among many) in the first season of Mad Men: The reason you haven't felt it is because it doesn't exist. What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I still consider myself somewhat a romantic, I will hold onto that dearly until I become old and bitter, but I believe in scales of compatibility. I believe that some people click and make beautiful couples, I believe that some click and make great partners, I don't believe that these things are meant to be. They are not foretold in the eyes of fate. I think what makes a scenario fantastic is the way we play them out ourselves, not the way we think it all came together so neatly.

You've got to hope there is someone. A You for yourself. And you are out there. You have always been out there, travelling through the generations, a being of an exceedingly high compatibility. It will not be love that keeps you together. You will keep each other together in that way that allows you to know that you each want to stay by the other's side. Ah, where is this going?

I think this is just a snippet to say that although love is a fallacy, romance and the scale of loving emotions are still very real. And to lose someone, to feel like that one special person has gone for good, keep in mind that once that scar has healed (and one day it will), you can meet her again. It just won't be her. That's the magic of humanity, we are all the same and we are all different. There is a reason we like to talk of connections between people because we enjoy the web of humanity that is spun around us. If you must love something, love the continuation of your own life, they way it flows to smoothly, the way your story is being told so personally to yourself.

If you are with somebody and your one drawback is that they are not perfect, stop looking. They are. If you don't enjoy what you have you will never hold anything close enough to truly connect.

"The essence of being human is that one does not seek perfection."

Oh what an aimless ramble. For that I do not apologise.

No comments:

Post a Comment