Sunday 10 February 2013

Singing Too Deep


Everyone wants to tell their sad song. I'm noticing that people want to tell their story to each other, but of course not every story is worth hearing, and not each is sad. But they want to show their cloudy rainbow of emotion.
I am stood listening to a girl sing an original that you can tell means something to her, but she also wants it to mean something to us. And it does. I can feel it, the angst and the lost hope. I want to tell mine, as I feel we all do, but I don't feel it to be necessary for everyone to hear it. Her playing as smoothly and singing as roughly as she does, breaking notes for dramatic purpose, holding others to elongate the turmoil held within. She makes me want to learn an instrument. I want the eloquence of song to put forth my tales. It seems so easy when she does it.
I could marry her and we could have a creative life together, I write my things, she hers and then we use our work as a collaboration. A beautiful future of corresponding emotions. But I wonder if others think of this, too. Maybe not, maybe the thoughts of her are different with others.
She sings a cover, I can hear the same feeling. Does it mean the same to her? I can feel it but this isn't one of hers.
Everyone wants to tell their sad story, strangers - when opening up - will mention the fact that they suffer from depression "Just a minor case," of course. We all do. Without our depressions we couldn't thrive to be as good as we can be.
I don't know. Perhaps it is not my place to discredit depressions. Perhaps I just don't want others to feel more than myself. Is it resent, or jealousy? Am I scared that I won't be as deep if others feel such dark depths, too? I'm not sure. I get tired of this talk of depression. It's tiring. It's aimless and so far doesn't get terribly far. It's self-indulgent. I don't like talking about how great I am. Not directly, certainly. I would rather get the point across in a subtle sweep of modesty and self-congratulation.
I'm drunk. Going nowhere. But heading somewhere.
A point? A reason? A triumph!
I am twiddling my thumbs in a new productive way this evening. I'm hoping to finish out somewhere new. I'm thinking of things afresh.
It doesn't matter whether I am actually doing something, but if my thumbs are twiddling in a meaningful way, perhaps that is enough.
Perhaps. Enough is enough. I wait for the future. Simultaneously I head towards it.
Your life is what you take and what you get, it is everything and it is anything you want it to be. If you want meaning, make sure you know how to present it.
I want to feel what you do.

1 comment: