Monday 19 November 2012

A Short Pattern On The Back


       Regularity is something we find ourselves falling into. Patterns are comforting, knowing what's around the corner can often ease our frantic little selves. But the patterns we fall into and the patterns we want to achieve are two very different things.

I am attempting a new pattern. To blog a little more often, to keep some sort of rota going with myself as the time passes incessantly. I could not divulge with you what this blog is trying to or going to achieve, but simply in the habit of doing I feel will be better to discipline my writerly habits. If I am blogging then I am writing, if it involves my current projects then so much the better. But I don't want this to be simply a vessel for my current work (if work is what I can call it). I want to tell stories, but I don't want to bore you with snippets of tales, teasers of possibilities. I also don't want to stand for too long on my soapbox ("blowing hot air and bubbles" as a nice lady elaborated a possible meaning to me) battering down my thoughtless opinions, trying to seem like some sort of authority figure on intellectual qualms. Please don't use my word as  definitive truth.

The internet has this method of throwing so many opinions our way that sometimes it seems counter-productive to create any of our own. I find myself falling into the habit of checking out countless movie reviews to confirm my own thoughts, as though my opinion only matters if I can cross reference it with others. It's dangerous to read about a film before it opens up before your eyes. I think the best reaction to a movie is made from a blank slate, but I don't know the last time I truly did this (actually I do, Machine Gun Preacher was watched in a game of Awful Film Chicken and it turned out to be bloody fantastic).
So I'm going to try this blogging thing out properly. Sometimes telling others your plans makes them more important to achieve. Is it the same if you blog about the intention to blog? Does that constitute telling someone? I am not sure.

I am going to write a blog on a Saturday, every week, no exceptions, and I am going to try and write one on another mixed day of the week. Maybe they should have meaning before they're uploaded, like Saturday is mindless ramble, and Xday is writery pondering. We shall see how this shapes up!
Whoever you are, reading this for some reason or other, I hope that this is alright "for a blog". I don't really know what constitutes a great read when it comes to these little moments of textual snapshots.
       
        Again, I think this had a different initial intention, I can't quite navigate the bumpy track of my train of thought. Someone keeps changing lanes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment