Saturday 17 November 2012

Post-Poetry Pangs

Tell me that humans are stupid. Explain that we are living a dumbed down culture. Wave your hands around, patronise me about how people are reading worse material, how shit sells.
Turn me in a circle, pretend I just symbolised humanity going nowhere. Take a deep breath and ponder to yourself whether you might be wrong. Accept that there are definite steps forward. Science is getting better, our overall accumulation of human knowledge is expanding (because with all our capabilities of holding information it would be nearly impossible to learn less).

You still have only a small glimmer of hope that our society is doing well. Worldwide we have crime, poverty, endless varieties of societal -'isms, and we all suffer for it. Most of us, anyway.

I am often of this mind. I look around (but not at you) and I am saddened. My mind doesn't want to stimulate itself, I don't want to be confined to mental masturbation, I want full-blown theological orgies, I want worldwide hypothetical soggy biscuits. If you don't know what that is, in its physical form, then don't find out.

Of course there are dumb people in the world. It's all opinion, and we are all dumb and we are all smart. But the truth is, we couldn't acknowledge ourselves if everyone was the same, and sometimes you just need the little lift to know that "Yeah, maybe I do think I am better than this person." Of course you are told not to do so, and publicly stating such a thing would be detrimental to your reputation as perceived by others. But we do this in other things, in sports, in numerous competitions, in politics even.

I am not telling you to go around saying you're better than anyone else, I am just trying to put forth an opinion that if you want to argue that people are so stupid these days, maybe you should not stick to the thought that they are the problem. Maybe you are too smart. If you want to argue anything, remember all the pieces, don't dismiss yourself just because you are you. Maybe somebody is out there telling their friends that people are way too smart these days.

You can lose faith in people, you can lose hope in humanity. It happens to us all when we stop to think, because life isn't exactly what we imagined it to be. It's shocking, I know, but this isn't each our own garden. It's a shared thing, and sometimes you just have to accept how certain things turn out.

We can play on the generalisation of "Dumb Americans" or "Neds" and of course because you don't consider yourself a part of either group you think they are something else and perhaps a setback to society's progress in whatever grand scheme you imagine. Just because these people exist shouldn't distract you from the fact that there are amazing people in this world. People that can move you, that can make you want to change, people that appear in your life for no apparent reason but you just know they are going to do something awesome. These are the people you should focus on. These are the people that should be real to you. Listen to what they have to say. Tell them what you want to say.

Give credit where credit is due, and if you have nothing constructive to say, try not to take away from the pleasures of others.


2 comments:

  1. "My mind doesn't want to stimulate itself, I don't want to be confined to mental masturbation, I want full-blown theological orgies, I want worldwide hypothetical soggy biscuits." - I just had a mind-gasm from that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not be happier! I love your enthusiasm for that one sentence. It could be the best thing I've ever written!

      Delete