Monday 12 November 2012

Questions In The Ether

-What do you want your life to be?

I spend a lot of my time writing notes to myself. The whiteboard has minimised my paper trail. I ask questions and state facts. I describe a fictional being, I improvise an opening. Nothing is solid, everything changes as time does the same.

-If love is dead then what do we have left to fight for? Are memories in themselves a worthy cause?

I am of the firm belief that we are managing to bore ourselves with too much entertainment. The scale to which our options expand before us is daunting. Are you bored? You could watch a film, a tv show, read a book, play a games console, play a board game, cards, create something, edit film, music, the written word. Et cetera. But of course that's plainly obvious. Those are the basics. Now we have this online presence to play with, too. For starters there are social networks, blogs, user-submitted video sites, and the same with writing and music, but there's more. All those films you would watch, if you don't own a copy, you can stream whichever one you want, anytime, on so many devices it's kind of terrifying. I didn't realise how close to boredom we humans were, but thankfully we've cured that. Any book you want, album you'd like, film you need, piece of art you'd like to peruse, are all available to you. Yet, online presences and real-life situations still develop into "I'm bored".

-How far will we go to find something that doesn't exist?

We have endless choice, but something tells us that none of these options are fitting. Something tells us that we could do something else.
I like to imagine that the good ole' days were black and white. You knew that there were only a select few things you could be doing, and you did them. But I think it was different in another sense. I think people were less aware of their choices. You would figure out what to do. Adverts weren't so hungry for your attention to make you have fun. You made games up. You created amalgamations between one or two things you had played before.
I think creativity is key to enjoying yourself. Bending the rules of fun given to us. If you are playing a console that's open-world, run around and do something that's not part of the script. If you are playing a board game, change a few rules. We need to create our own options instead of checking out what's laid in front of us.
It doesn't matter how much is available, it only matters what you can do.

I don't know what I'm getting at. This was going to go in at least three different directions. But sometimes you can't just plan a thing in a straight line.
I wanted to refer to my recent trip to Oban. We played amalgamations of Monopoly, Articulate, and general quiz-games. We would barter outside of the rules. A funny dance was payment for rent. Being able to guess 15 Nature cards was payment for landing on a hotel. A monopoly pound was enough for a chocolate bar.
I don't know why this all seems important just now. I apologise if this seems patronising. I just want people to be less open to being 'bored'. Don't use that word. Be quirky. Be spontaneous. Be obscure.

-We have so many distractions in life now. Sometimes I wonder if we even know what we're being distracted from.

I write those pieces on the whiteboard, snippets of nothing and everything, as my endless options, to distract me from my real goal. It's me saying that the novel can't be written because there's just one more thing I need to write beforehand. Another sentence. Another word. So many letters that are just aimlessly important.

So what do you want your life to be? You are the teller of your tale. The chronicler with the power to bias the shit out of your history. You can be great. You should be fantastic.

 Just don't be a bore.

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for your book to be written and published already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It shall be written in so many threes that even Patrick Rothfuss would blush.

    ReplyDelete